Monday, March 26, 2007

sick

So, today was the first day in my 8 months of being here that I didn't go into teach when I was supposed to because I am sick. It's not too bad though- just a constant runny nose and feeling weak. Boo.

It has been raining a whole lot here, and are beautiful filtration system that we have going causes lots of water to enter the house. We have been trying to keep the house dry and to keep it clean. I have also been trying to continually wash my hands and use clean towels/sheets to try to kick this illness. It got me start to thinking about the people living in the bateyes and how much worse their living arrangements are as well as their knowledge of health issues. I am continually understanding why people are always sick here.

When Alexia drove to teach she stopped by to tell Cristina that she didn't need to work today (she has no working phone). Not only did Cristina call me to see how I was doing later in the morning, she and her husband stopped by the house (even though they had never been there before) to check on me! I don't think I was that great of a hostess, but the gesture was wonderful.

We will not be teaching the week leading up to Easter, Semana Santa. (Nor will the rest of the country be working). I am hoping that this will be a good time to rest, which should be really nice. Please pray for healing, particularly though for all those kiddos who are sick because of this crazy weather.

No comments: