Sunday, January 20, 2008

carlos alfredo


Last Thursday, one of my preschool students named Carlos Alfredo, otherwise known as Bebe, was really upset whenever his mom Katy came to drop him off. When I asked him what the matter was, he just cowered behind his mom.

Now, I must premise that though he is by far the tallest student in preschool, his name suits him well because of his mannerisms and limited vocabulary. Katy told me that he was upset that he had to walk to school.

This surprised me because that is what he always does. His mom preceded and said that he wanted to ride the donkey to school.

I chuckled to myself at how this child wanted to ride a donkey to school, a donkey!! Man, where am I and what century am I living in?!

The next day I spent about 3 hours in Pancho Mateo, about an hour and a half with Katy and Bebe. I saw her husband Freddy working with a donkey, and then began to understand.

Freddy had borrowed the donkey from a friend to do some work. They want to put a second floor on their home and are slowing collecting the materials in order to build. Freddy is using the donkey to carry sand that he gathers from the river in Pancho Mateo and brings it up to their house. As he guides the donkey, his two sons Ismael and Bebe run along side trying to help out in any way that they can. It was really cute.

Katy told me that they want to build a room above their current house to use as a prayer room. The only thing that is keeping them from finishing this project is money. If anyone is interested in helping them out please let me know. I think that what they are wanting to do is a really cool thing, especially considering that I have never heard anyone else in this country wanting to do something like that.

No comments: