Monday, July 14, 2008

apartment

Finally! I took some pictures of the apartment so that everyone can see where I have been living for the past 7 months. It has been so great living so close to the school, we walk there every morning. We also are more a part of the daily Dominican life because we are right in the middle of it all. The apartment is a great size, and though we hardly have any furniture it is one of the first times that I feel comfortable calling it home and for the first time have a bit of space that we can call ours.We shall take a tour!


Entry room of the apartment. The table, chairs, and sports equipment do not belong to us.

Moving on to the living area. This room consists of a lot of green paint and a book shelf put together by Miguel with some extra scraps of wood.
The kitchen is something that we are doing a little better on. Notice if you will the mini Dominican stove that we purchased and all the utensils brought to the country mainly by Cara.
Our very mini Dominican fridge.And all of our cleaning supplies.

This is my little bedroom. I was able to purchase a bed at the end of January, and it has been so wonderful to not be on a thin mattress on a bunk bed at the Makarios house in Puerto Plata.Our bathroom sits nestled in between the two bedrooms.
Robin and Cara's room, just big enough to hold their beds that Miguel built.

Our balcony which now extends the whole side of the building.Though we don't have much when it comes to furnishing out apartment, the one thing that we do have and that is particularly wonderful is a place to hang our hammocks!! It is too hot to lie there during the day, but once the sun has gone down it is sweet. At night you can look up at all the stars.

3 comments:

Jewel said...

I miss the dominican so much and the thought of hammocks at night under the stars (or mattresses on the roof of the guest house!) really leaves a warm spot in my heart for Puerto Plata! I think the Makarios staff might really enjoy the video I just posted to my blog, or here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzg5ylUfvbI . Thank you for what you do. I know you're a blessing to so many people. If I had 1000 lives to live, I'd give them all for the DR.

Kara said...

hehehe, i chuckled at this post. i love your humor Camila :) oh, and i love you.

Leticia Ana said...

I miss this place and you and I'M SO GLAD YOU ARE COMING HOME IN TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ok then end.