Monday, September 29, 2008

opportunity

Towards the end of my time in the DR, an opportunity arose for the Makarios staff to partake in an event held in Mexico City.

Passion International has been on a world tour, holding conferences in cities heavily populated with college students. They will be in Mexico City the first weekend in October. Passion has implemented a program called "Do Something Now," in effort to bring immediate help to the city where they are located. While in Mexico City, they are teaming up with a local church who are trying to improve the education of children in their surrounding area. They have an educational program that currently has children come every Saturday, but would like to extend their program to five days a week and develop the material that they teach, if given the resources and opportunity.


Passion International has asked Makarios to come and help. Though I am currently no longer working for Makarios, there were no returning teachers for this fiscal year (staff yes, teachers no). Therefore, I decided to team up with current Makarios staff to help develop this school program in Mexico.

I realize that me teaching Haitian and Dominicans is completely different from Mexicans teaching fellow Mexicans, but feel that sharing the knowledge and experience that I have gained over the past two years will be extremely beneficial.

I fly out Wednesday, October 1 and will spend one week with some of my close friends and former co-workers that remain Makarios staff in the Dominican Republic, as well as three others flying out of Texas, including Sharla, the Makarios director. We will be able to participate in part of the conference put on by Passion International over the weekend, in addition to the "Do Something Now" campaign for Mexico City.

I am very excited about this opportunity to share what I have learned (what has essentially been my life over the past two years), see dear friends, and experience Mexico City. I return October 7th, and will share the experience once I am back!

No comments: