Saturday, February 24, 2007

Jezi, Seyè mwen

Royce left this past Thursday, and it was a little weird, even Cristina thought so. He was with us for about 6 weeks, teaching music to the kids in all six of my classes. They learned four songs in total, “Yo solo sirvo a Dios” (a song that he made up from one of their memory verses), “Alleluia,” “Yo cantaré de tu amor para siempre,” and “Cristo.” All songs were taught in Spanish, though some words were taught in Kreyol and English and the entire song “Cristo” was sung in Kreyol in Chichigua. Some days he would bring his guitar and play for the kids, other days he brought instruments for the kids to play. They all really enjoyed it. A week before Royce left, the kids performed these songs in both Pancho Mateo and Chichigua with his guidance. It was precious. He is a big surfer too, so one day the four of us (Royce, Keith, Alexia, and I) went to a surf beach. I had a blast, though it was harder than I thought. I also got a couple guitar lessons in, which was fun. We will see if I can keep up with practicing, so I can keep guitar going with the kids!

No comments: