Sunday, February 25, 2007

my birthday


Last weekend, Jennie, Miguel, Alexia, Royce, Keith, and I went to 27 waterfalls. A man named Joseph also came with us. He was down here for about a week looking into what all Makarios is actually doing down here in the DR. Though it was just for a short time, it was cool to have Joseph’s perspective on things and hear about all the different places in the world that he had traveled. Anyway, we all went to 27 Waterfalls. If y’all remember, I went once last fall and once again enjoyed my time there this go around.

Friday, the day before, was the day that the kids in Pancho Mateo performed the songs that they had been learning with Royce. Sunday, the day following the waterfalls, the kids in Chichigua sang the songs to the church congregation. They all did such a good job!

That church service was really neat in Chichigua that Sunday, not only did the kids sing, but Wisly and his family came down from Santiago and had their babies dedicated. After lots of singing, talking, and listening, we had communion and the pastor washed everyone’s feet that went up to where he was standing. Yes, he wrapped a towel around his button-up shirt and tie and washed people’s feet. I was sitting in the back with a couple of my kids on my lap. Nonetheless, an older man came back to where I was sitting so that he could wash my feet. It was really cool. This was also the day that our next group got in, so they were there at the church to witness all the happenings.

After the service ended, we all drove to the beach and orientated the group on the week to come. Normally we do this at the house, but Sunday was actually my birthday so we opted for the beach instead. In addition to the work we did at the beach, I was able to fit in a little bit of sand volleyball with some of the group members. (I was really excited!) We stayed there and ate dinner on the beach. The group surprised me by having some locals sing and play Happy Birthday on their guitars. During dinner Royce and Keith were on a mission to find a cake which was successful (excito!) and a few people went in and even got me a gift. It was all really special and the weather couldn’t have been more beautiful. Yay for number 23, what a day!

No comments: