Wednesday, April 02, 2008

birthday


If you can't tell, I am playing catch up on my blog. This next entry should have been published mid-February, but y'all are getting it now.

I just wanted to say a quick note about the kids and families that I work with. My birthday fell on a Monday this year, and someone the word got out to the students. On the 18th, I had so many sweet gestures, notes, and gifts from these people who barely have enough to get by.

The picture above are some of the things that I received. 2 necklaces, 3 bracelets, 1 pair of earrings, a pink camisole, and a vase of plastic red flowers from 5 different families. I literally could not believe the gesture. Each gift was wrapped in old worn paper, some included a sweet note.

A particularly cute story was the receiving of the plastic flowers from one of my preschool students Janisa. She got dropped off by her dad with a huge smile plastered on her face, holding a big wrapped box. She could not wait for me to open it and waited impatiently for me to tear the paper off once we were inside. Once I pulled the flowers from the box, she smiled with satisfaction, saying, "they are flowers!"

I kid you not, this thing could not be more hideous, but the satisfaction and pride from a blonde 4 year old Dominican girl could not be more beautiful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very sweet. Good stuff.

By the way, happy (very) belated birthday! You and my mother-in-law are birthday buddies (she was born on the 18th as well).