Friday, April 04, 2008

cup o' tea (or coffee in this case)


Let's see, what comes next? Oh, here is a fun story that y'all might enjoy.

One thing that people do here, if I haven't mentioned it already, is enjoy there cafecitos (little cups of coffee). There have been many of days that I have sat with families in Pancho Mateo visiting and chatting away, and it never fails that I am offered a cafecito of my own. Let me start by saying that before I came into this country I didn't even drink coffee, but it is hard to say no to a friendly gesture here. (And, I have actually come to like the drink very much since being here).

So, the cafecitos are normally served in a normal sized coffee cup, but the amount of coffee is literally almost a splash. However, my dear friend Katy who I know I have mentioned several times (mother of Ismael and Bebe) likes to serve her coffee in little tea cups.

When my friend Leticia was here, we sat and visited with Katy and her kids for a couple of hours. She served us coffee in her little tea cups, each with their own saucer and little spoon. Leticia felt like she was at a tea party!

I would say that the idea of having a tea party in the middle of Pancho Mateo came up a few times because the idea is just so hilarious!

Towards the end of Leticia's time here, we all went to the beach in Cabarete and to the German bakery (which has become an amazing get away treat for us!) If any of you ever come to the DR to visit (hint hint) you must try the cafe con leche (coffee with milk) at the German bakery.

The small size is served in a cup with a saucer and a small pitcher on steamed milk on the side. The large size is served in a styrofoam cup because the coffee and milk are steamed together. (I say all of this to preface to this second story). Laurin (a great girl who is here through August) ordered the small for the sole purpose of the cup and saucer (what a weirdo). However, they brought it to her in the big styrofoam cup, just not completely filled.

She was so sad not to receive her little cup and plate, that she made me go up and ask them for one so that she could pour the coffee into it. The staff at Dick's (which is the unfortunate name of our beloved bakery) looked and me and laughed whenever I told them Laurin's request. Though, I must say that I think that any of us would do almost anything to feel normal, even if it is the basic thing of drinking out of a real coffee cup!

2 comments:

Leticia Ana said...

I love this, and I love you!

Laurin said...

I would just like to add that I totally would've asked my self if I knew how to say "cup and saucer" in Spanish!!! But alas, my dear Camilla came to my rescue. Con una tasa, por favor :)