Thursday, August 14, 2008

how to eat a mango

Below is the process that I prefer to take when eating a mango. It is the only way a mango should be eaten in my opinion. For those of you that do not know, a mango is very difficult to cut. It has a pit or core type thing in the center that you cannot take out, which makes it tricky to cut. Whenever I try, I end up simply squeezing all the juice out instead of actually cutting off part of the fruit. It is virtually impossible to do it well. This particular mango happens to be particularly large, which makes it easier.
The first thing to do is take the mango and peel the skin off with a knife. Some people will just take part of it off so their hands don't get sticky and juicy, but then you have to continually peel the mango throughout the process of eating it, which to me is not as enjoyable.
This can be done over outside, over a sink, over a garbage can, or in this case over a plastic sack.
Once the entire peel is removed, bite into the mango as if it was an apple. It is really juicy so I would suggest staying outside or near that sink, trash can or bag.
It is best to pretend like you are a little kid and eat it like you would a melting popsicle, catching the juice that runs down your hands by sucking it all up and hopefully leaving some on your face. And of course, it is always done with a big smile. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad for the lesson in mango cutting/eating. The only lesson I've ever gotten was a Martha Stewart tip from a friend, which I always think wastes much of the juicy mango...