Tuesday, April 24, 2007

2 twin boys for 240 eggs


So, Tuesday night I boiled 240 eggs. Yes, that's right two hundred and forty eggs! I didn't think that was physically possible to do in one evening, but apparently it is. Let me explain how it all came about.

Wednesday after class, Alexia and I headed to Santiago to take care of the twins Jacob and Isaac (pictured). The family that has been caring for them are in the states for a little while to raise more financial support, so many of us have been put on babysitting duty. We are here throughout the weekend, relieving Jennie and Miguel who have been here the past week.


I thought that we wouldn't be able to have class on Thursday or the beginning of next week, but Cristina offered to teach the class on her own. I asked if she was up for teaching multiple class days on her own with anywhere from 50-80 kids each day, she was.


So Tuesday night after getting back from class, I prepared lesson plans for the following week, got supplies together, counted out enough liters of milk (36) and children's vitamins, and boiled 8 flats of eggs (240), enough to last for the next day plus the days Cristina would be on her own.


It was a long night, but it all got done. I am in Santiago still watching the boys. They are learning sign language because Isaac is partially deaf, in addition to the English, Spanish, and Creole spoken in the home. Needless to say, they are very cultured!


I am anxious to see how classes turned out for Cristina. I think she can handle it though. She might even have her own classes next year with an aid, so this is a very good trial run.

No comments: