Monday, April 09, 2007

back in the saddle again

Today was our first day back in class after having the week of Semana Santa off. Cristina spent a few days in the capital visiting family and didn't get back until this evening, so I was alone in the classroom today. It was great to see the kids, I think a lot of them were not expecting class today (the public schools also had today off) and were excited to see me.

It was definitely obvious that all the kids had had a break from school. They were crazy! Although I only had 55 kids today, it seemed like so much more. I did have some helpers though throughout the day, which was great. Some of my older girls played Cristina's part. Joselina, also known as Belleza, also known as Keith's girlfriend while he was here, helped keep the kids calm in the first two classes, pass out papers and markers and glue, and then passed out vitamins at the end of the class. She even said "abre la boquita" and placed on in each child's mouth. My last class was my youngest class today. By that time, everyone had figured out that I was back and had nearly 30 little kiddos.

I tried playing the games and doing the art projects (designed specifically for them), but in such a small confined room and with so many little ones we had to cut it short. Greymy, Lisi, and the twins helped in this class. It is a really cool concept to me how kids like to mimic what you do. You know, like a little boy that wants to help his dad mow the lawn. These girls love helping me in class, telling all the "kids" to sit and be still and help passing out the food or whatever other thing there is.

Before we left today, Lisi wrote on the white board, "Camila es como la madre de Lisi." (Camille is like Lisi's mom). I felt really good, and then I asked her what her mom thought about that. She said nada, nothing.

I guess regardless of the crazy kids and the often times uncontrollable classes, it is good to be back in the saddle again.

No comments: