Saturday, July 03, 2010

chichigua

Thursday I went to Chichigua on my own. As I pulled up on the moto, I heard some of the women asking each other if it was me and then when they realized it was, we all ran towards each other and embraced each other. Same story, everyone looks great but older and taller. The younger boys were playing soccer on the field behind the houses. Emilio left the game and ran over and jumped into my arms, just like the first day I visited Chichigua nearly four years ago.

So many other fabulous things happened, one in particular that I will save for another post. Overall, it was so wonderful to see so many of them there that morning. I spent most of the time with Felipe's sisters Monis (who is now married and has a baby), Yaina, and Kikina.

It was so hot that day, I went to a nearby pond with some of the others girls who went to bathe. Franchesca has gotten so big, and is still a little spit fire! (She's the one with the soap in her hair in the picture below).
While they were bathing I went back up and spent time with Yaina. While sitting with her she bent her body forward and wrapped her arms around me, something I have never really seen her do before on her own initiative. Despite the obstacles that she faces in everyday life, she always has a big smile plastered on her face! I took her in her wheelchair with a bucket and a bar of soap and bathed her. I cannot wait to spend more time with everyone there!

No comments: