Monday, July 12, 2010

santiago

I went to Santiago to see Leti off and to spend time with the Whites. Bye Cosa!

Leticia left Thursday morning, and later that day we set off for the land the Whites purchased. It was so great to finally see all the progress they had done and the vision they have for the 12 acres. Below is just a glimpse. Hearing Jim talk about it all made me wish I was an engineer.







That night was Ben's last night so we all went out to dinner in downtown Santiago. I could not tell you the name of the restaurant, but oh my goodness, the name we gave it was very suiting. "The Cowboy Restaurant."

We pull up to this large, open place right off the main road and the first thing I notice is a large stagecoach above the entrance covered in Christmas lights. Two men dressed as cowboys from head to toe are there to greet us. Yes, you heard right, cowboys.


The restaurant was all open air so there was a good breeze in the corner on the balcony level where we were sitting. Everything was so good. A few people got steaks, and maybe I should have too to stick with the theme.


I figure though, why not experience the culture and the food where you are. I opted for a Dominican dish- octopus with a side of smashed yuca. Despite what you might think from the picture, it was actually quite tasty!


Jim (with knife and fork in hand!) and Teresa


I wanted to get a picture of the whole family together, and this was really the only time to do so. I never thought it would be behind ropes and haystacks and holding shotguns.
Ben, Ella, and Carrie

I wanted to get a picture with all the cowboys that were walking around the restaurant (regardless of the fact I felt like a total tourist). I told him I was from Texas, and then he started shouting out all of the phrases he knew that seemed western. By the time we took the picture, I couldn't keep a straight face! Overall, such a fun and entertaining night with good friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From what I gather, I believe the restaurant you ate at was called Kukara Makara. That is,if it's the western restaurant located in front of El Monumento. Spent many a days at the monument, and saw that lil place all the time. It made me laugh to see such a sight in the DR! :)