Saturday, July 03, 2010

pancho mateo

I went to Pancho last Tuesday after visiting the school and before going to the art coop where Cara works. It's so funny how life doesn't change. Yes, little things here and there, but overall la vida no cambia mucha.

The first people I saw were Katy and her grandmother. They recognized me and came running; it was so great to see Katy and how big she has gotten. Leti and I continued to walk around the village, seeing former students and parents who were so much a part of my life. Everyone has grown so much! I guess that's what happens. The welcome was overwhelming. I gave lots of hugs and lots of kisses and constantly answered questions like "How is your family there?" and "Are you married yet?" That's Dominican life for you.

I saw Yoslena, but she hid from me, embarrassed I guess after having her baby. We didn't talk that day, so I gave her a couple of days to warm up. I went back on Thursday for a couple of hours and spent some time with her sitting outside of her house.

Her baby's name is Carlos, named after Cara who is the godmother. She has learned a lot about how to handle the baby and recognize his needs. There is so much though; I'm honestly impressed that he is alive and healthy in her care. I can only hope that continues.

Below are a few pictures of the time spent together. The last picture also includes her younger sister who is nearly 8 months pregnant.

No comments: