Monday, July 19, 2010

colonial city

Thursday we walked around the colonial city in Santo Domingo; it houses the first cathedral in the Americas built in the early 1500s, along with fortresses and palaces built hundreds of years ago where Columbus' family lived. Really cool stuff.

Find out more about the capital here.

Since we were in a group of about 10, this Dominican guy tried to make us pay 250 pesos a person to see the cathedral even though it should be free. I started arguing with him in Spanish. After about 10 minutes, it was me verses four Dominicans. I stood my ground though and after arguing with them for literally about 20 minutes, they let us in for free. Victory! It was a combination of feeling an complete and total annoyance for all Dominicans who try to take advantage of foreigners and a sense of pride and accomplishment for standing up to a group of Dominicans and arguing my way in Spanish until finally they submitted. Ha!

Despite that minor setback in the morning, the day was really incredible because we were able to see so much history that I thought you could only find in Europe or Asia.

I'm waiting to see if I can track down some pictures elsewhere to share, and am giving my camera one more chance at redemption. We'll see...

No comments: